There are a lot of heavy things happening in the world between a global pandemic and the horrible murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery to name a few. My heart has been heavy with all of the devastation this year has brought. I am trying to listen, learn, lament, and take action where I can.
But I have to be honest with you.
All of this has really affected my mental health.
I’ve needed to take time to pause and step away from the news and my phone in order to care for my mental health. It’s not good for anyone to be on screens or absorbing so much negative information all day.
So, once the action is taken and I’ve done some learning for the day, I try to make time for fun things. I encourage you to do the same. Joy is so necessary even in times like this because it sparks hope that the days to come will be better and change can happen.
I made this video to share some of the things I did to get me through an exceptionally difficult time for me mentally – being mandated to be quarantined with family (in a house that was not mine).
I hope that it will encourage you to find things you can do during this time that will spark hope and encouragement in your own life.
Here are some things that got me through quarantine.
1. Video Games
You don’t have to be a manic pixie girl to enjoy a good video game.
It’s a ton of fun (and even stress reducing) to have daily goals to achieve and both of these games are great for video game beginners and even for those who already love video games!
2. Board Games
Sometimes I just get tired of screens and want to play a game off of them.
I’ve been getting really into board games lately and they’re a great thing to have when you’re stuck in the house or even for when you start gathering with a small amount of people.
If you want to play games virtually with your friends or family around the world, we’ve been using Jackbox Games a ton! It’s basically a virtual “party pack” that comes with a handful of games in each pack. Only one person needs to have the game and everyone else can join in on a video call and use their phones or an iPad to play.
3. Binge-worthy Movies and Shows
We’ve all been using Disney+ and Netflix far more than usual in 2020.
While I try not to watch TV for longer periods of time, it can be nice to wind down with an episode of a good show after a long day of work or on a cozy, rainy day. My top 3 movies and shows that got me through quarantine were:
- Star Wars (yes, we rewatched all 9 movies)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- The Chosen
Seriously, if you haven’t watched these movies/shows or haven’t seen them in a few years, GO WATCH THEM NOW.
4. Healthy Finds
You know I love any food, supplements, or lifestyle product that makes me a healthier human.
Over the last 6 months, I’ve gotten to try out several different superfood blends by a company called Organifi. Holy moly me-oh-my, I have found the holy grail.
Organifi’s Red Juice is an antioxidant blend that is not only great for you, but it tastes SO good. Like, picture Hawaiian punch without all the sugar. It’s the fruitiest, tastiest drink ever and is perfect now as we’re coming into the summer months. If you want to give it a try, feel free to use the code ‘STEPHWITT’ for 15% off of your order! If you hate it, they’ll give you a full refund too.
Also, if you’re someone who drinks a lot of supplements with powder in them, I’m about to change your life.
I found this frother for $10 on Amazon and I will NEVER drink another powdery drink ever!!! (You’re welcome.)
And the last “healthy find” I’ve been loving is using my Jade Roller each night to roll on my face. It’s a relaxing addition to my nighttime routine and has great health benefits. Here’s the one I use.
I think we all hit a point during quarantine where we knew we needed to get out of our house. Here’s what we did when we were going crazy watching Netflix and playing board games for the seventeenth time.
- Biking! Biking became the thing Sam and I looked forward to every day after work. After a long day of conference calls, emails, and being on the computer all day, I felt like a main character of a YA novel when I’d pop my earbuds in, put on Watermelon Sugar by Harry Styles, and cruise around our neighborhood. I’ve missed biking a lot since we moved.
- Making mood boards. We’ve all made Pinterest boards for our weddings, party ideas, etc. As we got closer to moving back into our own place, I knew I wanted to create a space that inspired magic, productivity, and that we both felt like we could relax in. I didn’t know much about interior design, but after a LOT of Pinterest board viewing, I knew I wanted a Modern Farmhouse style home and I created mood/inspiration boards to help us design our new apartment. I’m really happy with how it turned out and I think you can definitely create mood, inspiration, or even vision boards for just about anything!
- House planting. Is there a better term for that? I’m not sure! I’m mostly referring to the practice of collecting house plants and keeping them alive. So far, I’ve killed our Aloe Vera, but I’ve managed to keep our fiddle leaf fig and snake plant healthy and thriving. Adding greenery to your house adds a lot of life and color and watering, mistering, and caring for my plants has been a really mindless, stress-relieving activity I’ve come to enjoy.
- Creating Tik Toks. I fought getting on a new social media platform for a long time, but when quarantine hit, I was down to try it out. Once I did, I was hooked. The Tik Tok algorithm is SO good at putting stuff that you’re into on your for you page. I enjoyed watching a lot of the Marvel cosplayers, Animal crossing island tours, funny skits, and all of the trends. So, I bought a Spider-Man suit and decided to try it for myself. It was a lot of fun and took me back to my Vine days. I don’t know if I’ll keep doing it, but if you’re a creative, I definitely think it’s worth checking out!
I know that’s a strange assortment of things that got me through quarantine, but hey, it’s been a weird/crazy year, right?
Let me know in the comments what hobbies you’ve picked up over quarantine! I’d love to hear more from you about what you’re loving because I’m always up for trying new things out.