Congratulations!!! You have just made the first step in leveling up you and your family’s health and wellness. I am so proud of you and I can’t wait to see you become an empowered advocate for you and your family’s wellness along the way.
Here are some things to note as you get started using your essential oils.
How to Use
You’re probably wondering HOW to get started with essential oils. I always saw Instagram-worthy moms talking about their “holy grail” oils, but they never really showed HOW they used them.
There are 3 ways you can use essential oils:
- Aromatically. You can place a few drops of your oils in water into a diffuser. The diffuser will allow you to inhale the powerful healing compounds of each oil and it will release into the air as well.
- Topically. You can use essential oils on your skin. There are certain oils you must dilute with a carrier oil and some you can use neat (you can place the drops directly on your skin). The oils and beneficial healing compounds will absorb directly into your skin and start working within your body.
- Internally. You can ingest certain essential oils. See the safety tips below.
Just like you can’t exceed 6 pills of Tylenol in a 24-hour period, you don’t want to use too many drops of essential oils topically or internally. Here are some tips to use your oils safely and responsibly.
- The practice of titration will be VERY important here. You need to start with the lowest possible dosage for each age range + you can experiment increasing the dosage from there. Download this FREE eBook to learn how to titrate.
- Check the safety warnings for each essential oil label. Some oils are not safe to take while pregnant, some are not safe to ingest, some counteract with other medication, etc.
- ALWAYS DILUTE FIRST. Use a carrier oil (coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, or fractionated coconut oil and see age range guide for lowest dosage when using topically).
- Do NOT use oils in your eyes or ear canals.
- Stop using oils immediately if irritation occurs.
- Talk to your doctor before using internally. Some oils, just like supplements or over-the-counters, may affect a current medication you are taking.
- If taking internally, always take with food.
Most importantly… essential oils are NOT *cures*. They are a wonderful supplement to other treatments and can enhance our quality of life. Please don’t neglect to seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition. Essential oils are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
If you don’t have one already, buy a diffuser. If you grabbed a kit without a diffuser (and didn’t purchase a dōTERRA one) make sure you purchase a diffuser so you can use your oils aromatically. Amazon has a wide range of gorgeous diffusers that are beginner and budget-friendly!
Choose a carrier oil. A carrier oil is a non-volatile (fatty) oil that dilutes the intensity of the essential oil. Think of it like “watering down” something strong. It “carries” the essential oil onto the skin and allows it to last a long time. It doesn’t dilute the effectiveness of the oil, rather, it diminishes any chance of an irritation occurring. You can purchase fractionated coconut oil from dōTERRA. However, you’re also free to use almond, grape seed, coconut, jojoba, avocado, olive, or vegetable oil.
Just be mindful not to use a carrier oil that you may have food sensitivities / allergy issues with.
Get some rollers. You can grab 10 mL rollers from Amazon, Whole Foods, or through dōTERRA’s website. Rollers are a great way to create blends with multiple oils, have a diluted oil ready on-the-go, and you can save money by re-using them once you use up the roller! I like to create blends for waking up / low energy, headaches, immunity, and as a mood booster.
Grab a spray bottle. If you’d like to experiment with making your own cleaner, air freshener, or even hair care products with your essential oils, you’ll want to grab some glass spray bottles from Amazon. The dark color allows the oils to keep longer.
I put about 10 drops each of Tea Tree and Lavender oil into a glass spray bottle with water and I use it as an air freshener around the house. I LOVE it and it’s a great non-toxic alternative to something like Febreze.
Store your oils in a cool, dark place. Your oils will keep well in a dark place (hence the dark colored bottle) and moderate temperatures. Not too hot, not too cold. A closet or bathroom is the perfect place to store your oils. You’ll want to keep them away from direct sunlight. You can feel free to place your diffuser wherever, though!
Get vegetable capsules. Want to take your essential oils internally? Don’t drink it with water – it burns! Try dōTERRA’s veggie capsules. You can place your oils in here and take it normally like a pill. Make sure to take with food and water to avoid a negative reaction. Check with your doctor that taking an oil internally will not react with another medication you are taking.
You can find recipes to ingest your oils on our members-only Facebook group.
Swap dryer sheets for wool dryer balls. This is one of the easiest and cheapest swaps to make to create a non-toxic home. Dryer sheets are one of the most toxic products you’re probably using in your home. They’re laced with endocrine disruptors, cancer-causing chemicals, and all-around BAD stuff that is targeting our organs in bad ways.
An easy swap to make here is to use wool dryer balls.
No chemicals here – just wool!
They’re reusable (so they last forever) AND you can put a few drops of your favorite essential oils on your dryer ball to make your clothes smell fantastic. I, personally, love throwing Lavender on mine, but any citrus scented oil is a great summertime oil to place on your dryer balls!
These swaps + purchases should help you get started with your journey to essential oils and to total wellness! Be sure to join our members-only Facebook group and e-mail me to set up our 30-minute consultation if you haven’t already. Once we chat, we’ll create your perfect Wellness Plan (PDF) to get you closer to your wellness goals!